Jennifer Tawa Hair Design
1. How long have you been in business? How many brides do you style hair for each year?
I have been in business since 1997. I service approx. 40-50 brides per year.
2. What do you feel sets you apart from other hair stylists in the wedding industry?
I work on location and offer a very personalized consultation based on the brides dress, jewelry, hair type and texture, the day’s weather and overall head to toe style. I pride myself on my availability and flexibility which I feel is very important to a bride as she needs to feel confident about her stylist as it is a very personal part of her day!
3. What do you enjoy most about working in the wedding industry?
I really enjoy that the specific service I provide is so personal and when I can deliver a bride and her wedding party happy, beautiful and on time I can really set the entire tone of the day. The longer I work in the wedding industry the more I enjoy
every aspect of it. When I first began in 1997 I would most assimilate with the younger sister of the bride, then once I became a bride myself in 2002 I had a better understanding of “bride”. Now I am the mother of two boys 10 and 8 and I feel more in connection with the Mother of the Groom! I appreciate all family dynamics and work comfortably and confidently in that space. I cut and color hair as well but it is my love of styling that moves me to truly enjoy meeting women with all hair types and styles and feel confident I can help them look their best on a very special occasion.
4. When meeting with brides who don’t know much about hair, what is the biggest tip you find yourself giving them?
Take care of your hair! It is one of your most important accessories! I can make quite a few helpful suggestions on how to get their hair to look its best leading up to their wedding and far beyond. I have the pleasure of working with many highly effective hair product lines. I make no commission and do no work for them so I can recommend what I feel works best! I feel my suggestions are always appreciated!
5. What current trend in the hair industry do you personally like the most?
I like that in 2015 brides have the freedom to wear their hair up or down!
6. Any fun facts that we should really know that would contribute even more to your awesomeness?
I have worked in salons since I was in the 10th grade. I have many family members who were stylists from the 50’s to present day.
7. Can you share recent references and examples of your work?
Yes, I am featured on the following:
Style Me Pretty
Jennifer Tawa Hair Design on Facebook
8. What is your payment structure and cancellation policy?
I am paid in full on the day of a trial for the trial.
A deposit is given to secure the date and is applied to the balance.
The balance is paid in full on the day of the event.
If reservation is cancelled within 30 days of date, deposit is forfeited.
9. What’s your backup plan should you fall ill or otherwise not be available at the time of the wedding?
I have many other colleagues I could call in a pinch. I have worked with brides for 18 years and have never missed a date. I plan ahead for weather, distance and traffic patterns and am rarely sick.
10. What are your travel and/or overtime fees?
If location is 1 hour outside of the Boston area my fee is $50 per hour roundtrip. If the start time is before 10am and the location is more than 2 hours away I often suggest overnight accommodations for the night before which is paid by the client. My fee is $75 per hour to stay for touch ups.
10. Any other tidbits you want readers to know?
For the past 18 years I have worked in the Brookline Village area of Boston. I cut, color and style hair as a Senior Stylist at HC Studio. I am there two days a week.
Follow Jen’s Day-to-Day: